Is it Time to Have the Clutch Replaced?
Being able to drive a standard transmission vehicle is a valuable skill because it not only allows you to operate nearly any vehicle but it also allows you to get better gas mileage and have more control over your vehicle in some cases. However, if your car needs a clutch replacement, you may find that you won't be able to shift properly, making driving much more difficult. Take a look below at the five most common signs that your vehicle may need a new clutch.
If you need to schedule a clutch replacement in Tacoma, Washington, come see us at Austin's Pro Max today. One of our certified service technicians will be happy to inspect your car, truck, or SUV to see what types of auto repairs we can assist you with to get you back on the road safe and sound.
Five Signs it’s Time for Clutch Replacement
Your vehicle will let you know when it's time to have the clutch replaced. Below are the most common indicators it's time for a new clutch.
- Burning Smell: If you notice any strange smells in your vehicle after you've been driving for a while, it could indicate that there's a bigger problem in your engine. This could indicate that the clutch plate has most likely worn thin and will need to be replaced.
- Slipping Gears: If your manual transmission car frequently slips out of gear or appears to fall into neutral without warning, the clutch plate is likely worn out and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. However, this is also possible due to an oil leak dripping onto the clutch plate, resulting in excessive lubrication, thus causing the leak to cause the gears to slip.
- Sticky Clutch Pedal: Hydraulic linkage is used in the clutch system, and if it fails, the clutch pedal may stick or become more difficult to apply pressure. If the linkage has started to leak hydraulic fluid, this could lead to a complete loss of pressure, and the system will need to be replaced promptly. To fully resolve this issue, a new clutch plate may need to be installed.
- Trouble Shifting Gears: If your clutch is stuck, shifting gears will prove to be difficult. This could lead to the engine being unable to properly disconnect from the wheels, resulting in difficult shifting and the potential for gearbox damage. This is usually due to a problem with the clutch's hydraulic system or the cable that engages and disengages it, so a professional mechanic should inspect it to see what the issue could be.
- Rattling Sound: If your foot is off the clutch pedal and you hear a rattling sound, this is usually the result of a worn-out bearing. If a bearing within the clutch system fails, you will be unable to shift gears. Vibrations in the clutch pedal, grinding noises when changing gears, and a heavy clutch pedal are all signs of a bad bearing and should be inspected at your earliest convenience.
Schedule Your Clutch Replacement Today
The clutch is one of the most important parts of any car, truck, or SUV, but it is rarely discussed until it is too late. If you have any concerns about your car's clutch, contact Austin's Pro Max today to schedule a clutch replacement in Tacoma, Washington. A member of our service team will be happy to assist you and make sure your vehicle is ready to get back on the road.